Friday, May 24, 2013

May Arts Ribbon Blog Design Team Call - Round 1

WARNING: Picture heavy blog post!!

I am so excited! May Arts Ribbons is having another Design Team call and I'm trying out for them this time! I've participated in a lot of their Craft Challenges and have placed in the Top 10 every time, they make a great product with so many color and fabric choices, I just can't help myself!! 

Today I'm sharing some of my favorite projects from the last year or so that kind of show off my style and my skills and of course, show off my use of ribbons...most of which include May Arts! I'm also including towards the end, a group of pictures showing a step-by-step tutorial of one of my projects.


First up is my Love Notes Tin I made for one of the Craft Challenges, this one uses 4 different May Arts ribbons and was such a fun project to create. All my love letters from my husband are tucked inside here.


This is a birthday card I made for my oldest, he loved this. There's so much texture to it, that burlap ribbon is from May Arts.


This is a layout I recently created where I stamped the background leaves, and then stamped those same leaves and colored them in with my Distress Markers...they are topped with a button tied with some May Arts Burlap Twine, which you'll see a LOT of in my projects, it's my absolute favorite ribbon to use!


Here's a Printer's Tray I recently made to show off the My Mind's Eye Lost & Found 3 Oliver papers, but of course it's showing off some great May Arts Silk ribbon and their Burlap Twine too!


This was a fun project to do. My husband brought home this lamp from an antique store, but the silk shade was so stained and stinky from cigarette smoke that I couldn't do anything with it, so I made it over with a whole bunch of lace trims from my stash. Some of them are Bo Bunny, some from Webster's Pages and then others from my friend Nina's stash.. The whole wire frame was wrapped in May Arts Silk ribbon first though! 


This boxed card set was another Craft Challenge I participated in through May Arts...this uses a whole bunch of their silk ribbons which I fell in love with while making this project! They are so pretty and drape so nicely. 


Making mini-albums from scratch is one of my favorite things to do. I created this mini from the ground up...shaped and cut all the chipboard myself  then decorated and embellished it. This one used some brown satin ribbon from May Arts. Such a fun book!


Playing around with one of my favorite My Mind's Eye collections on this mini, though I think this is the only one of my projects today that doesn't use May Arts ribbons. The heavier burlap twine on this one comes from My Mind's Eye, but it's hard to come by, which is why I was excited when I found the thinner stuff from May Arts! 



This is another boxed set of cards I just recently made as a class to teach at my local scrapbook store. I've been teaching classes there for going on 2 years now. I've done cards, mini books and layout classes, always a fun time!



These next few pictures are of another Craft Challenge I participated in with May Arts...this was an Ink It challenge. All the ribbons and trims were neutral and the only rule set forth to the participants was to ink them. What a fun and MESSY project!! So this is my tutorial I want to share:

Sunflower Candle Holder


First thing I did was cut some of the flowers from the length of trim.


Using my darkest stain (Walnut Stain), I dyed the centers of the flowers.


Once that was done, I used the Scattered Straw Stain and dyed the outside edges of the flowers.


Using my heat gun, I dried the flowers, taking caution not to melt them, because it will happen. I had to hold the heat gun about 6-8 inches away.


Once they were dry, I cut the rest of the fabric away from the back of the flower...


...like so!


Next I took the Forest Moss Stain and dyed the suede leaves.


This shows how they look in different stages and different amounts of dye applied.


I dyed them all, some darker than others, and I did that by layering on the colour.


Next thing that got dyed was the Mesh Ribbon and for this I used Vintage Photo.


This one took a couple of coats with drying with the heat gun in between each coat.


The final pieces to be stained were the canvas ribbons and these ones just got a bit of aging with some Antique Linen Stain.


Here are all the pieces once they were dried. I used a few glue dots to adhere these to my glass candle holder.


This is what the finished product looked like. It made a great centerpiece for my Fall tablescape. I love that the flowers look like sunflowers and I'm really happy with how this turned out! 

So those are the projects I wanted to share with you today...and keep your eyes out, I'm participating in another May Arts Craft Challenge coming up in June!

Oh, and fingers crossed on this too!!


6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous projects Jasmine!! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got this thing!

    I don't remember seeing the candle holder before. It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful array of projects here and your sunflower tutorial is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on making it through to the finals! Your projects are lovely! Best of luck in round two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Jasmine! Great projects, I love that painters tray so much, very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete